Officer Charged With Manslaughter In Philando Castile Shooting

- By Bossip Staff

Philando Castile

Philando Castile Shooting Update

The officer who fatally shot Philando Castile has been charged, but only with manslaughter. Jeronimo Yanez is facing second-degree manslaughter and two charges of dangerous discharge of a firearm.

During the press conference where Yanez’charges were announced, Prosecutor John Choi noted that the officer and his partner pulled over Castile July 6 because he matched the description of a robbery suspect with a “wide-set nose.”

He also added that “There simply was no objective threat posed to Officer Yanez.”
The Star Tribune reports:

Jeronimo Yanez faces three criminal charges for the killing of Philando Castile, Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced Wednesday.

Choi said it was his conclusion that “use of deadly force by Officer Yanez was not justified.” Yanez was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm.

Before Yanez, no officer had been charged in more than 150 police-involved deaths in Minnesota since 2000.

Yanez was summoned to make his first appearance in Ramsey County court at 1:30 Friday.

Choi said the charges were filed following 19 weeks of investigation and a review of the dash cam footage and audio footage taken during the shooting.

[…]
In explaining how Yanez’s actions did not meet the legal standard for justified use of deadly force, Choi said “it is not enough… to express subjective fear of death or great bodily harm.”

Mind you Philando told Officer Yanez that he had a weapon and assured him that he was not reaching for it before he was shot 7 times.

Well this is a start, but is a second-degree manslaughter charge really enough?

philando-castile

Furthermore do YOU think it will stick???

More Stories From Bossip

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus