In the days since the earthquake struck Haiti, it continues to be a critical time for us all to offer our help. We’ve collected a listing of a few organizations and events that are doing their part to raise money to help the people who need it most. Please feel free to continue to update us at email@example.com and we will help spread the word about all the available relief efforts.
To make an automatic $10 donation to the Red Cross, text “HAITI” to 90999;
To donate $5 via your cellphone to Wyclef Jean’s grassroots organization: text “Yele” to 501501.
the money will be charged directly to your cell phone bill.
FOR NATIONAL DONATIONS TO HAITI
The Port-au-Prince offices of the Carma Foundation – whose mission is to improve the health of poor and vulnerable women and children in Haiti – were seriously affected by the Haiti earthquake.Make a monetary donation at http://www.carmafoundation.org/ to help Carma send missionaries to Haiti to aid in the relief effort.
• Partners in Health: Wanted: Surgeons, nurses, and other medical personnel to help in Haiti (especially folks who speak Kreyol or French) – email firstname.lastname@example.org
• American Red Cross: Since its founding in 1881 by visionary leader Clara Barton, the American Red Cross has been the nation’s premier emergency response organization.
• Dwa Famn: portal that provides information on the Haiti Emergency Relief Fund, which has been involved in grassroots organizing efforts in Haiti since 2004
• HAITI ACTION: A Hatian Women’s Rights Organization in Brooklyn
• Habitat for Humanity: A nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry.
• Hope for Haiti: Hope for Haiti has held the vision from the very beginning that the people of Haiti are the ones who take control of their future and we are here to lend a needed hand along the difficult path.
• UNICEF: UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
• Yele Haiti: Yéle Haiti is a Wyclef Jean’s grassroots movement that builds global awareness for Haiti while helping to transform the country through programs in education, sports, the arts and environment.
The City of Miami, District 5 is accepting donations of emergency supplies such as clothing, water, first aid and canned food to send immediately to Haiti. Contact Tracy Lozama in the District 5 office at 305-253-5390 for more information.
Make a monetary donation to The Haitian Alliance to help send missionaries and emergency supplies to Haiti at http://www.transformhaiti.org.
The Haitian Alliance is also collecting relief materials such as drinking water, first aid items, toiletries, non-perishable food rations, baby formula, linens and more.
The Haitian Alliance Drop-off Locations:
* WRFG Radio -Mon – Fri; 11:00AM – 6:00PM; 1083 Austin Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30307-1940
* Northside Women’s Specialists-Mon – Fri; 8:30AM – 5:00PM; 980 Johnson Ferry Rd, Suite 620,Atlanta, GA 30342-1608
* Northside Women’s Specialists – Mon – Fri; 8:00AM – 3:30PM; 1015 Mansell Road, Roswell, GA 30076-1507
* Club Intrigue – Mon-Sun; 4PM – until; 5471 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083
ADDITIONAL FUNDRAISING EVENTS:
MON, JAN. 18 – “Atlanta CARES for Haiti” Celebrity Fundraiser hosted by Big Boi and Atl City Councilman Kwanza Hall
*RARE – (554 Piedmont Ave, Atlanta GA 30308) 6pm Donation: $20; Valet Parking: $5
*All proceeds benefit CARE’s Haitian Relief efforts (www.atlantacares.org)
Rebuild Haiti: A Benefit Concert for Haitian Relief – Tues, Jan. 19; Lenny’s Bar – 486 Decatur Street Atlanta, 30312 – 7pm to 12am; Tickets: $8 at the door. (100% Profits will be Donated to The Haitian Alliance for the Haitian Relief efforts); For more information, visit http://www.unitedforjamaica.org.
Six bands participate in A Night of live Reggae and feel-good music. Monetary and in kind donation boxes will be accepted. Please see: http://www.TransformHaiti.org for list of needed items.
FRI, JAN. 22 – “Happy Hour for Haiti” hosted by Shanti Das, Frank Ski, Kwanza Hall, Devyne Stephens, Ryan Glover, Shante Paige & More UPTOWN – (201 Courtland St, Atlanta GA 30303) 6pm – 10pm Donation: $10 Proceeds to benefit Wyclef Jean’s “YELE” foundation for the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
The Haitian Memorial Foundation and WEEN are seeking volunteers to donate and gather supplies as well as travel to Haiti to assist in the global relief effort.
To offer your help/resources, call I. Maxime Auguste at (914)7513303. You can drop-off emergency supplies at the HMF office at 435 South Broadway, Suite #1, Yonkers NY 10705. http://www.haitianmemorialfoundation.org.
• Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees, Lakou New York, and MUDHA (Movement of DominicanHaitian Women) are organizing immediate delivery of first aid relief. Please Donate: FINANCIAL SUPPORT, FIRST AID SUPPLIES, PERSONAL HYGIENE GOODS, DRY FOODS (NO CANNED FOODS PLEASE), TEA LIGHT CANDLES AND AA & D BATTERIES.CALL (718) 735-4660 FOR MORE INFO.
• NYC: I AM HAYITI Haiti solidarity fundraiser Fri. Jan. 22, 6:30pm @ Caribbean Cultural Center/African Diaspora Institute, 408 West 58th St., New York, NY 10019, (212) 307-7420. Feat. Kalunga Neg Mawon, Tiga Jean Baptiste and T’Chaka, and DJ Laylo on the 1s and 2s.
ADDITIONAL FUNDRAISING EVENTS:
If you’re in the New York area on Monday, January 18, you can drop off emergency supplies at the Benefit Bash for Haiti hosted by Patty Laurent, Mona Scott-Young, Daphnee Duplaix, Wiener Milien (NYC TV), the Heavy Hitters, I. Maxime Auguste (Haitian Memorial Foundation) and more. Location: Crimson (formerly Strata), 915 Broadway, New York, NY 10010. For more information call 212-844-9829 or email email@example.com.
The Women In Entertainment Empowerment Network (WEEN) presents WEEN for Haiti: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 from 5-11 p.m. at Katra Lounge (217 Bowery Street) in New York City. All proceeds collected will go directly to Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti foundation & Doctors without Borders, the recipient of a Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
More Stories From Bossip
Lost Ones: Soccer Star Has Dated Two Of The Baddest Women...
Internet Goes Crazy After Kanye Calls Out Jay Z
Celebrity Seeds: Angela Simmons Poses With Her Precious...
Basketball Wives Reunion: Shaunie Doesn't Want Brandi & Duffey
BBWLA Fans Blast Jackie Christie For ‘Refusing’...
Iyanla Fix My Life: Lotto Winner Spent Millions Get Boyfriend Out Jail
Sassy Baller Files: Odell Beckham Jr’s Most Suspect Moments...
Jaheim Roasted For Hair Style