SMH: Weaknik Freaknik’s Little Comeback Turned Out To Be A Big Flop

- By Bossip Staff Categories: News, SMH


People who ventured out to Freaknik this past weekend in Atlanta were sadly disappointed as One-Time f*cked it up for everyone:

Freaknik got off to a slow start, but a large crowd packed the street near Underground Atlanta Saturday night. One man was arrested at 11 p.m. for hitting a police officer in the back of the head with his fist. The officer was not injured. Police do not know what caused the man to lash out.

The man will be charged with simple battery, police said.

At 10:30 p.m., about 300 partygoers congregated on Peachtree Street near Underground. The crowd was a diverse group, including teenagers in five-inch high heels and super-skimpy mini-skirts and senior citizens.

Police told several men to pull their pants up.

At about 11:15, police had seen enough and roughly 50 SWAT and Red Dog unit officers with flashlights began combing through Underground and ordered people to disperse.

As a helicopter circled overhead, 20 more officers lined Peachtree Street and shouted to the crowd that “it is over, let’s go.”

Police at the scene said anyone at the scene after the nearby Five Points MARTA station closed would be arrested.

Byyo Young, 20, of west Atlanta, said he was at Underground with friends to find “a concert or barbecue.” He was disappointed.

“There’s no music or anything, just people standing next to the police,” said Young. “At least there’s a lot of nice ladies to look at.” Underground Precinct Commander Lt. Chris Tiernan said he spotted a group of potential troublemakers early in the evening but officers spoke to the crowd and dispersed them.

“We had some hooligans, but it has pretty much been real quiet,” said Tiernan. “We are letting them hang out until they get bored and go home.” “The people are here, but they’re [the police] running them away,” Allen said.

Del Amin, owner of Haagan-Dazs in Underground, said he was hoping the events coupled with the warm weather would be a nice start to the season. Instead, only a few families lingered in his ice cream shop.

“This is just the local hang-around crowd that is always here,” he said. “There’s no Freaknik and no real business.” Tre Diggz and half a dozen friends came downtown looking to find some of the sights their older siblings had told them of at the Freakniks past.

“I want to see some action,” Diggz said. The group was walking across Marietta Street at the intersection of Forsyth Street when an Atlanta Police officer blocking traffic began yelling.

“Get out of the street. Run them over. Let’s go,” the officer yelled toward the line of traffic trying to cross. The officer declined to give his name.

“I’m mad,” said Dreak Seledon, of Atlanta. “The police be harassing us for nothing. I wish I saw some old Freaknik parties.”

Diggz, Seledon and their friends said they planned to attend a Freaknik-themed party in Rockdale Saturday night. The streets were dead Friday night too.

Some Freaknik attendants appeared to come out at night after 10 p.m. Friday. People were walking around Downtown Atlanta from Woodruff Park to Marietta Street and from Centennial Olympic Park to Peachtree Street.

Ah, the days of old Freaknik will never be duplicated, but the real question is…why the f*ck were there “teenagers in five-inch high heels and super-skimpy mini-skirts and senior citizens.” Senior citizens??? Really?? SMH. That sounds like some straight comedy right there.



blog comments powered by Disqus