Jay-Z Concert Gets Squashed By The Mayor… What Happened Hov, We Thought That Was Your Homie???

Posted on - By

Categories: For Your Information, Hi Hater, News

Jay-Z Bloomberg

Jay-Z probably won’t be thanking Drake later or anytime soon now that Mayor Bloomberg’s office has shut down plans for a last minute show he planned for Monday night. Following the disastrous near riot that erupted when Drake fans overcrowded South Street Seaport last week, the mayor’s office has nixed Hov’s plans! Pop the hood for details

Jay-Z had planned to put on a surprise performance atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater Monday but the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting put the kibosh on it yesterday.

Like Paul McCartney last year, the Brooklyn-born rap superstar had planned to use his appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman” to give a show in the middle of rush-hour Midtown.

“There was discussion of a concert, and ultimately it was decided there would be no permit,” said Julianne Cho, spokeswoman for the film office.

The mini-concert was axed abruptly after weeks of planning and negotiations, sources said.

The decision came on the heels of a free performance by rapper Drake at the South Street Seaport that was canceled Tuesday after 10,000 people — triple what was expected — grew unruly when the entertainer kept them waiting for 90 minutes.

Six people suffered minor injuries. Two people were arrested.

Sources told The Post that a permit for Jay-Z’s performance would have been granted only if organizers could keep the show secret, but word of the show leaked out yesterday.

“Many permits are granted on the condition that the event is not made public beforehand for capacity and security reasons,” Cho said. “This event was made public.”

The NYPD had already required the organizers to front about $100,000 to cover expected overtime expenses for cops and any other city workers assigned to the theater on Broadway at West 53rd Street.

A source described that amount as “significantly higher” than what organizers paid for McCartney’s appearance.

Word of McCartney’s performance last July had remained a closely guarded secret until that morning, when people noticed crews setting up musical equipment on the marquee top.

Still, about 4,000 people packed the blocks along Broadway.

Rock groups Phish and Audioslave have also performed atop the marquee in recent years.

“Late Show” spokesman Tom Keaney declined to comment. The mayor’s office didn’t return calls for comment.

Damn, guess Jay-Z doesn’t “Run This Town” after all!

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/mike_nixes_late_show_marquee_concert_PffmtJz6iPT1grx0Y0bE9J#ixzz0rJycUpSZ

More from MommyNoire

More from StyleBlazer & MadameNoire

blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 10,299 other followers