This is tragic on so many levels.
A pregnant Brooklyn woman who was smoking in bed died Friday morning after her cigarette sparked a fire that ripped through her home, sources said.
Choy “CC” Barrington, 21, was found by firefighters lying unconscious on top of the sheets in her third floor apartment on Washington Ave. in Prospect Heights at 3:30 a.m., officials said.
Her roommates tried in vain to save the cosmetology student and geriatric nurse, who was three months pregnant, after waking in the middle of the night to find their home engulfed in smoke.
“I looked under the door and saw red flames,” said Lawrence Jones, 25, an amateur wrestler who shared the apartment with Barrington and his wife, Justine Kahn, 24.
“There was nothing but fire.”
Jones first became aware of the fire when his phone rang at 2:45 a.m. He believes it was Barrington trying to raise the alarm from her room next door.
Jones attempted to rescue the young mom-to-be and put out the flames with a faulty fire extinguisher but was forced to flee the building with his wife. They then flagged down a passing taxi to call 911.
Pause, every mother-to-be is warned of the potential harm that can occur as a result of smoking while pregnant. The worst part of it is, aside from the harm it does to the Mom’s body, it can completely destroy the unborn child’s respiratory system and later affect his/her brain function. Not cool … and a very dangerous and selfish thing to do regardless of how early in her pregnancy she was.
“I kicked on the door, and she didn’t answer,” Jones said. “Then I kicked it in and smoke shot out at me.
Barrington’s boyfriend, the father of her unborn child, arrived at the scene after getting a phone call with the tragic news.
“My baby is ashes,” Laurel Prince, 36, said, adding the couple “was smiling and laughing on the rooftop just tonight.
“She was talking about planning a rooftop party and telling her family about the baby.”
The couple recently had a similar close encounter with a cigarette.
“Two weeks ago she fell asleep with a cigarette in her mouth,” said Prince, who explained he had to pull the lit butt from Barrington’s mouth as she slept. “But I was there to save her and put it out. … I wasn’t there to save her this time.”
Damn shame. Perhaps the hardest lesson in all this is, this could’ve been prevented and two lives could’ve been spared had this young lady put her child first and put the sticks down when she decided to have the baby. Gotta do better … SMH