Rolling Stone is trying to talk about Hip-Hop again, and the results are quite controversial.
They just named their King of Hip-Hop and the choice will get some reaction. But first, here’s the top 20 according to the magazine based on album sales, rankings on the R&B/hip-hop and rap charts, YouTube views, social media, concert grosses, industry awards and critics’ ratings from 2009 to July 2011.
20. Big Boi – As a member of one of the legendary groups of all Hip-Hop, we support his position here as a solo artist. If this were duos, Kast would be tops, though.
19. Kid CuDi – Yeezy’s little homie would be higher on the list if “drama” and “tightest pants” were a factor. Sadly, they’re not. But 19 isn’t too shabby for the newcomer.
18. Lupe Fiasco – Despite his nonsense about Obama and acting a fool for Billy O’Reilly, Lupe had a good year with his album sales. So he gets some love…but boy did Lasers suck dog toes or what?
17. Waka Flocka – We assume that he got some major love for the popularity of his singles to offset what is probably pretty low critical reviews. Still, Waka doesn’t have a chance of number one.
16. B.o.B. – Bobby Ray took the game by storm last year, so that probably gets him a ton of cred on the list. We’ll see if he keeps it up.
15. Wiz Khalifa – Amber Rose’s baby momma is climbing the charts one doobie at a time. Of all the newcomers, he has the best chance of climbing the list.
13. Pitbull – Ahem. *taps mic* WHAT IN THE MOTHERFAWK IS PITBULL DOING ON THIS LIST?! When was the last time Miami’s Dr. Evil was remotely relevant? Name the most recent Pitbull song you remember hearing on the radio…don’t worry, we’ll wait.
12. Diddy – Has he even released a rap album in the last few years? And no, that Dirty Money thing surely didn’t count. His Internet popularity probably got him to this point, though.
11. Snoop Dogg – Snoop’s been a major name for damn near 20 years. It’s pretty remarkable that he was able to land himself a spot on a list of top Hip-Hoppers at his age.
10. T.I. – Here’s another questionable pick. Tip’s been in jail for most of the last two years so we’re not sure how in the blue heavens he managed to get on a list, especially a top 10.
9. Gucci Mane – Gucci’s been in the clink for the most part as well, so we’re not sure what’s going on here. He still has a strong following…but there’s no way he has any great reviews.
8. Ludacris – When’s Luda dropping another album?! It’s been a while since Theater Of The Mind and the streets are fiendin’ for a new one! Give us some more of that Luda. He’s still earned a top 10 spot though.
7. Rick Ross – Ricky Rozay definitely deserves a solid spot thanks to the way he’s been burning up the rap game these days. It’s a rare accurate placement on the list. Way to go, RS.
6. Nicki Minaj – She’s in the running for “King” of Hip-Hop? Yup. Might as well, as she’s tougher than some of the dudes on the list and she could probably knock out a few soft a$$ rappers. But the way she’s dominating the game means she earned her place.
5. Jay-Z – Jigga? Number five?! Maybe they made this list before Watch The Throne came out, because Hov is sitting high atop Hip-Hop right now. Five seems way too low.
4. Kanye West – The WTT duo don’t even crack the top three? We’re calling Bollocks Rolling Stone. And we bet Yeezy is going to have a lot to say about it, too.
3. Drake – Drizzy has been singing and sashaying across Hip-Hop since he hit the scene a couple of years ago, so we get him being near the top. But above Hov and Kanye? Let the debate begin.
2. Lil Wayne – Weezy was in jail for most of 2010, so we’re not sure how he’s running things. Did “being in the clink” count as a recipe for Hip-Hop success? Apparently.
More Stories From Bossip
Bitter Teyana Taylor Posts Tae Heckard's Texts & Number In Petty Twitter Beef!
#ThisBody: Gabby Sidibe Flaunts Her SUPER Slimmed Down...
No Sorcery Needed: Fantasia Flaunts Her Ultimate Glo Up...
Baby, Baby, Baby: Ashanti’s Most Fantastically...
For Your Info: 30 Celebs Whose Ethnic Background Will Surprise You
Catfish Alert: A Shocking Gallery Of Camera Angle Sorcery...
Blame The Game: Here Is The Tragic Footage Of Beanie Sigel...
Flapjacks: 10 Celebrity Women With Flat Butts