Zimmerman’s legal counsel has launched a new website, Facebook and Twitter account to provide a “voice for Mr.Zimmerman… “
The defense team for George Zimmerman, the man charged with murdering unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, has launched a new website, Facebook and Twitter account designed to dispute misinformation and provide “a voice for Mr. Zimmerman.”
“We understand that it is unusual for a legal defense to maintain a social media presence on behalf of a defendant, but we also acknowledge that this is a very unusual case,” Mark O’Mara, Zimmerman’s attorney, wrote on the website, gzlegalcase.com.
O’Mara said that “social media in this day and age cannot be ignored,” and that it would be “irresponsible to ignore the robust online conversation” around his client’s case.
Zimmerman, who has been charged with second-degree murder in Martin’s killing, was released last week from a Seminole County jail on $150,000 bond. Zimmerman admitted to shooting and killing Martin, 17, on February 26. He has maintained that he killed the teen in self-defense.
According to the website, the defense will use the online platforms to discourage speculation, discredit fraudulent websites created in Zimmerman’s name and provide the latest details of the case.
The website will also be used to raise funds for Zimmerman’s defense.
“We understand that this is controversial, but Mr. Zimmerman deserves a fair trial, and mounting a defense is an expensive proposition,” the website said.
This latest social media offensive isn’t the first time Zimmerman has gone online to defend himself or to raise funds.
Since its inception on Thursday, the Twitter account @GZlegalCase has gained almost 600 followers and sent more than 40 tweets. The tweets have referred followers to news stories about Zimmerman’s case, to the new Facebook page and to the website.
Will you be “liking” George Zimmerman on Facebook? Discuss…