Well-Paying Jobs That Don't Require A College DegreeWhile there's no doubt that progressing to higher education is often a very important part of becoming successful, it is also realized that not everyone will choose to pursue a college degree as a means of success. For those who may decide to take the road less traveled, Yahoo and the Bureau of Labor Statistics recently put together a list of professions which do not require a college degree, but still have six-figure earning potential for those willing to work hard.
It may not be a piece of cake, but despite stagnant wages for the majority of U.S. workers, making a six-figure salary without earning a college degree can be achieved. From overseeing the creation of beautiful breads, pastries and desserts for hotels and restaurants as an executive pastry chef to (surprisingly!) becoming a nuclear power reactor operator conducting procedures that start up or shut down the plant, having a college degree in these occupations is not mandatory. Personal trainers, massage therapists, and handymen are also among the jobs where top earners with no college degree can receive annual pay that exceeds $100,000, according to PayScale.com. To compile this list, PayScale.com surveyed its salary and career database, covering about 12,000 jobs in over 1,000 industries.Let's take a look at the top 5 professions that will get you that gwap even if you don't have a college degree on pages 2-6, along with the other highest paying jobs in America as of this year that may actually require degrees on pages 7 and on. Source Image via Shutterstock
20. Nuclear PowerReactor Operator Highest Earning Potential: $142,000 Education Required: HS Diploma
Now let's take a look at America's overall highest-paying jobs of 2012, some of which do require degrees.
14. Air Traffic Controller Average Salary: $114,000 Education Required: Bachelor's Degree and FAA Training
10. Industrial-Organizational Psychologists Average Salary: $124,000 Education Required: PhD and Certification/License
9. Computer and Information Systems Managers Average Salary: $125,000 Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
6. Architectural and Engineering Managers Average Salary: $129,000 Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
2.Orthodontist or Dentist Average Salary: $161,000 - $204,000 Education Required: Bachelor's Degree; Dental School (PhD)