Monster Energy Investigated By FDA For Drink-Related Deaths
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Monday that it was investigating reports of five deaths that may be associated with Monster Beverage Corp.’s energy drink, and the company’s shares fell more than 14 percent.
Monster is also being sued by the family of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two cans of its Monster Energy drink in a 24-hour period.
Monster said it does not believe its drinks are “in any way responsible” for the girl’s death.
“Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks,” the company said in a release. It said it intends to vigorously defend itself against the lawsuit.
The family of Anais Fournier filed a lawsuit on Friday against Monster for failing to warn about the product’s dangers.
The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court in Riverside, said that after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy on consecutive days, Fournier went into cardiac arrest. She died days later on Dec. 23, 2011, from what the lawsuit said was “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity” that complicated a heart disorder she already had.
On Monday, FDA spokeswoman Shelly Burgess said the agency had, from 2009 through June this year, received reports of five deaths and one heart attack that may be associated with the Monster Energy drink.
Not only is this bad for people, it’s bad for business
Monster shares closed down 14.23 percent at $45.73 on the Nasdaq.
SMH, dying from energy drinks? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Image via Monster