One would think folks would want to start the New Year off on a more positive note, right? Wrong! Instead they are kicking things off with shootings and gunfire. SMH.
According to NBC News:
Seven people were shot, one of them fatally, during a New Year’s party early Tuesday in Columbus, Ga., police said — just one of many fatal shootings to be reported across the country as 2013 got off to a bloody start. Police detectives told NBC station WLTZ of Columbus that six people were shot inside the Majestic Sports Bar about 2:30 a.m. ET. One of the victims was pronounced dead, and the four others were being treated at the Medical Center of Columbus for non-life-threatening injuries. The Columbus Enquirer reported that the dead man was identified as Charles Foster Jr., 24, of Columbus. A short time later, a gunshot wounded a person sitting in a car in the club’s parking lot. Police said that person was treated and released.
Across the country, the New Year rang in with the sound of gunfire:
– Three people, one of them a 17-year-old boy, were shot and killed Tuesday morning in separate incidents in Philadelphia, NBC 10 of Philadelphia reported.
The teenager was shot in the head about 12:30 a.m. ET during an following a house party, police said. About two hours later, an unidentified man was shot and killed in the Frankford area of the city. Then, about 3 a.m., police who were called to a house in North Philadelphia, where they found three gunshot victims. One later died at a hospital.
– Police said they were investigating a double homicide Tuesday morning in Elizabeth City, N.C., NBC station WAVY of Portsmouth, Va., reported. The names of both victims were being withheld, but authorities said both were in their early 20s.
– Police in Suffolk, Va., said a 31-year-old man died at a hospital after he was shot at a “social gathering” about 3 a.m., WAVY reported.
– In Chicago, which hit the grim milestone of 500 homicides in 2012 last week, New Year’s Day kept the toll clicking. A 20-year-old was killed Tuesday morning on the West Side, authorities said. He was among 11 people to have been shot so far Tuesday, the Sun-Times reported.
– Another man was also shot and killed early Tuesday at a Georgia nightclub, this one the Club Fiesco located in South Augusta, police told NBC station WAGT of Augusta.
– A suspect was in custody after a man killed one person and wounded four others Tuesday morning at a convenience store in Lansing, Mich., NBC station WILX of Lansing reported. Three of those injured were reported to be in critical condition.
– Four people were shot, one of them fatally, at about 3:30 a.m. at a gasoline station in Lorain, Ohio, NBC station WKYC of Cleveland reported.
Police said a man shot his girlfriend in the head in Port Arthur, Texas, during an argument Tuesday morning, NBC station KBMT of Beaumont reported. She was pronounced dead.
– A 19-year-old high school senior was dead and two other people were wounded during a shooting incident about 2 a.m. ET during a New Year’s Eve party at an American Legion building in Clayton, N.C., NBC station WNCN of Raleigh reported.
– In Corpus Christi, Texas, a 35-year-old man who was found injured in parking lot Tuesday morning died at a hospital, NBC station KRIS of Corpus Christi reported. Police haven’t confirmed how the man was wounded, but they arrested a man armed with a handgun after an hourlong standoff at a nearby apartment.
– Police in Flint, Mich., said they had no suspects in the death of a man who was found Tuesday morning with a gunshot wound, NBC station WEYI reported.
– Indianapolis police who were called to a duplex shortly before 5:30 a.m. found a dead man with what appeared to be a gunshot wound, NBC station WTHR reported. No other details were immediately available.
-Sheriff’s deputies were investigating a fatal shooting Tuesday afternoon in Columbia, S.C., NBC station WIS of Columbia reported.
Jesus take the wheel.