We HAVE to do better people…
Violence surged like the mercury Sunday, with three more fatalities from gun violence — and eight others wounded in shootings — bringing the total number of bullet-riddled in the city to 25 in less than 48 hours.
Only Staten Island was safe from the wide-ranging spray of gunfire and sickening weekend bloodshed. At least 12 people were blasted in Brooklyn, eight in the Bronx and another four in Queens. The sole person shot in Manhattan took several slugs to the chest and perished in broad daylight.
Sunday’s first fatality was Ivan Martinez, 21, who was approached around 3:25 a.m. by a 20-year-old gunman and a woman at E. 139th St. near Brook Ave. in the Bronx, police said.
The gunman shot Martinez once in the head and ran off with the woman.
In the second fatal attack, a man in his 40s was gunned down during an argument in East Harlem around 1:20 p.m. The victim, who has not been identified by police, was blasted multiple times in the torso on E. 105th St. near First Ave. Less than four hours later, Damien Powell, 25, was killed after he was shot in the chest outside the Albany Houses in Crown Heights, sources and witnesses said. The victim’s mother collapsed at the scene, where shell casings littered the street, witnesses said.
In one particularly sad case…
Tayloni (Tutu) Mazyck, 11, was shot outside her Bedford-Stuyvesant home when a cold-hearted teen opened fire at rival gang members. The slug traveled through her neck and lodged in her spine.
She will never walk again.
“She can’t feel her legs. She has pain in her arms,” said her heartbroken mother Priscilla Mazyck, 46.
Here’s a disturbing list of some other shootings that occurred Sunday:
- A 21-year-old man was shot in the leg in the Ravenswood Houses in Queens at 12:10 a.m.
– A 21-year-old man was shot three times on East New York Ave., Brooklyn, at 2:36 a.m.
– A 20-year-old man was shot in the leg at Bedford Park Blvd. and Webster Ave. in the Bronx at 3:30 a.m.
– A 35-year-old man brought himself to Jamaica Hospital with a gunshot wound in the leg at 4:12 a.m.
– A 15-year-old was shot in his leg and back on Osborn St. in, Brownsville, Brooklyn, at 11:40 a.m.
– A gunman opened fire at Bedford Ave. near Lenox Road in Prospect Lefferts-Gardens around 3:25 p.m.
Let’s have some real talk for a minute, shall we? As minorities and people of color we have enough problems as is, shooting and killing each other only helps confirm that other folks are right to treat us like animals and savages.
Put down the guns, bring back fist fights!
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the families with lost and injured loved ones.
Image via NYDailyNews