Twerking is America’s latest dance craze, and yes, “everyone’s doing it”—elderly women, your mama, white hoodrats (Miley Cyrus)—everyone. So, naturally, we compiled fun facts about the cultural phenomenon for those new to the twerking party.
Here are eight fun facts about twerking. Take a look.
1. Ying Yang Twins’ “Whistle While You Twurk” was the first known twerk anthem on urban radio. It dropped 13 years ago and peaked at #17 on the charts.
2. DJ Jubilee’s “Do The Jubilee All” was the first known twerk anthem in American history. It dropped in ’93 and fueled New Orleans’ legendary Bounce music movement.
3. A twerk a day keeps the Doctor away? Yep, high-energy twerk sessions burn at least 500 calories an hour.
6. A white chick like Miley (awkwardly) twerking is “cute.” A Black woman twerking is a “filthy unfathered hoodrat-scripper-ho.” Completely-unfair, but reality in America.
7. Twerking is often traced back to African culture by shea-buttery scholars but that’s a reach. True booty cheek vibration to the beat-twerking started in Miami, Atlanta or New Orleans (depending on the Twerk historian you ask).
Photo credit: Tumblr
More Stories From Bossip
Bitter Teyana Taylor Posts Tae Heckard's Texts & Number In Petty Twitter Beef!
Another One: Meet The IT Consultant Bae Who’s BEEN...
Engaged Or Nah: Did Nelly Put A Ring On Miss Jackson?...
Baby, Baby, Baby: Ashanti’s Most Fantastically...
Real Love: Iman Shumpert Claps Back In The Most Classy Way...
Funniest Memes Of The Week, Vol. 23
All Love: Serena Williams’ Most Fantastically...
#ThisBody: Gabby Sidibe Flaunts Her SUPER Slimmed Down...