Remind us never to go to Coney Island Hospital.
Man Dies From Botched Blood Transfusion
According to The NY Post
There’s bad blood at Coney Island Hospital — and it’s deadly.
A 40-year-old male patient died at the city-run hospital last week after receiving the wrong type blood during a transfusion, The Post has learned.
Transfusions that don’t match a patient’s blood type — giving Type-A to a person who is Type-B, for example — causes the body to attack the new red blood cells, a violent and painful reaction that can lead to shock and a fatal kidney shutdown.
“The blood was mislabeled in the lab. It wasn’t a nursing issue,” said one hospital professional who spoke yesterday on condition of anonymity. “It shouldn’t have happened. It’s just carelessness.
“It’s a huge problem,” he added.
A source said the fatal error occurred in the hospital’s sixth-floor lab, where blood drawn from patients is screened and “typed.”
A technician labeled the patient’s blood as the wrong type, and the patient was given the wrong blood during a transfusion.
Yesterday the lab was shuttered.
Blood for Coney Island Hospital patients is now being typed by technicians at Kings County Hospital Center, with the results then phoned in to Coney Island.
Coney Island continues to maintain its own stores of banked blood, and surgeries and ER treatment have not been curtailed.
Still, emergency-surgery patients are for now all being given Type-O blood, because it can be used universally.
“Our deepest condolences go out to the family . . . We are working with the state to resolve the situation as quickly as possible,” said Ian Michaels, spokesman for the city Health and Hospitals Corporation.
We feel for his family. People put their trust in doctors and die anyway. SMH.