Earlier this week, we reported on the case of a 15-year-old Georgia boy who was given six months to live but being denied a heart transplant by hospital administrators partly because of his past run-ins with the law. Well, it seems the powers that be have had a change of heart.
via Think Progress
Anthony Stokes, the 15-year-old Georgia resident who was initially denied a place on a heart transplant list because of his history of “non-compliance,” is getting a second chance.
His family says that his doctors have changed their minds, and Anthony was placed on a transplant list at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta on Tuesday.
Anthony has an enlarged heart, and likely only has six months to live unless he receives a transplant. But at the beginning of this week, the doctors at the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta informed his family that he wasn’t eligible for the transplant list, partly because of his history of low grades and trouble with the law.
Doctors weren’t convinced that Anthony could be trusted to follow directions and manage his follow-up care.
“I know he will comply with all the rules,” Melencia Hamilton, Anthony’s mother, told ABC News in an emotional interview before the family learned the good news. “He will take his medicine because he knows that is how he has to live.”
On Tuesday, hospital officials reversed course. They did not explain why they had changed their minds, but they indicated that Anthony would be one of the first in line for a heart transplant because his condition is so serious.
“We met with hospital officials about 30 minutes ago,” family spokesman Mark Bell told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday afternoon. “After reviewing the situation, they said Anthony would be placed on the list for a heart transplant and that he would be first in line, due to his weakened heart condition.”
Despite the blatantly shady reasoning behind the transplant denial in the first place, we’re glad that this young man will get another chance at life.
Photo Credit: 11Alive News