Student Dies From Drug Overdose
Let this be a lesson to young people who think poppin’ “molly” is cool.
According to The NY Daily News
Rave drug molly is being blamed for the death of a gifted University of Virginia student who suffered an overdose at a Washington, D.C., club last week.
Shelley Goldsmith, 19, a sophomore on scholarship at the prestigious school, took a lethal dose of the designer drug before collapsing at a rave at the club Echostage after midnight on Aug. 31, police sources told The Washington Post.
She was pronounced dead later at a local hospital.
The promising young student’s shocking death came on the same day two others died from overdosing on molly at the Electric Zoo music festival on Randall’s Island in New York.
Investigators in Boston have said they believe a bad batch of the drug, often described as a “pure” form of ecstasy, was being sold throughout the Northeast, leading to more than a dozen late-summer overdoses at clubs and music festivals in Boston, New York and D.C.
Three people OD’d on Molly at the Boston House of Blues on Aug. 28, one of them fatally.
The Northeast Washington club released a statement saying they were “saddened” to hear about Goldsmith’s death and that managers were cooperating with police.
Goldsmith, of Abingdon, Va., attended UVA on a Jefferson Scholarship, reserved for the school’s top students, and spent her free time volunteering at a food bank and her church youth group, according to her obituary.
“Shelley deserves a legacy of being someone who cared for people, someone who achieved, someone who contributed, and not a druggie who died,” her father, Robert Goldsmith, told The Post.
“That’s not who she was. But if her death can open someone’s eyes, then we need to talk about it,” he said.
Washington authorities were awaiting the results of a toxicology test to determine an official cause of death.
Prayers go out to her family.