Mother Of Navy Yard Gunman Speaks Out For The First Time
The mother of the now-deceased ex soldier who opened fire and took the lives of 12 people earlier this week at the Washington, DC Navy Yard is speaking out about her son’s horrific actions for the first time.
via NBC News
The mother of Aaron Alexis, the Washington Navy Yard shooter, said Wednesday that she was heartbroken and sorry for the families of the victims, and that she was glad he is “in a place where he can no longer do harm to anyone.”
In a brief statement to a reporter in New York, the mother, Cathleen Alexis, said that her son “has murdered 12 people and wounded several others.”
“His actions have had a profound and everlasting effect on the families of the victims,” she said, her voice trembling.
“I don’t know why he did what he did, and I’ll never be able to ask him why. Aaron is now in a place where he can no longer do harm to anyone, and for that I am glad.
She added: “To the families of the victims, I am so, so very sorry that this has happened. My heart is broken.”
What a terrible position to have to be in as a mother. Hopefully all of the families affected by this tragedy find peace somehow.