3 Children Dead And Father In Critical Condition After Chicago House Fire
When firefighters arrived at the blazing Hammond home late Wednesday night, Andre Young, who was severely burned, was lying in the snow with two of his children.
Young screamed that three more of his children were still inside, fire inspector Michael Opinker said.
But for them, it was too late.
“The kids never even had a chance,” Opinker said.
The three children, 4-year-old Dasani; his sister, 3-year-old Alexia, and their 7-month-old brother, Jayden, suffered burns and died.
Sadly, firefighters say, poor living conditions may have aided in the childrens death.
The first firefighters arrived at 10:26 p.m., Opinker said, and they found the front and the side doors of the home blocked by clothes, furniture and other debris, Opinker said.
“It was a nightmare,” he said. “It was so discouraging because if we had been able to get in there, we might have had a chance to save them.”
Hammond fire officials and the state fire marshal are 90 percent sure that a space heater connected to a propane tank — which Opinker called a “dangerous setup” — likely sparked the fire. Candles were found in the area where the fire started — a downstairs front room where the children were found.
As for Mr. Young and his surviving children…
Andre Young and his two other sons, ages 2 and 6, were taken to Stroger Hospital in Chicago. Young was in critical condition late Thursday afternoon, according to a hospital spokeswoman. The boys were in good condition in the pediatric intensive care unit.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Andre Young and his family. This is such a tragic way to lose your children.
Image via Shutterstock