What Was In This Babysitter’s Grape Soda That Killed A Toddler?

- By Bossip Staff

Babysitter’s Drug Laced Grape Soda Kills A Toddler

An Alabama woman is in police custody after authorities say a 2-year-old she was watching died from ingesting grape soda that was laced with drugs.

AL.com reports:

A 2-year-old Bessemer boy is dead after authorities say he drank grape soda laced with methadone.

The ordeal began Friday night when Demonie Hendon was in the care of a babysitter.

Bessemer police said 31-year-old Cassie Townsend had methadone in a soda bottle and realized it wasn’t where she had left it. She immediately guessed the toddler must have picked up the bottle and went to find him.

Methadone is an opioid medication that reduces withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to heroin or other narcotic drugs without causing the “high” associated with the drug addiction. It is dispensed at a clinic, and police said it is not supposed to leave there.

Townsend was initially charged with chemical endangerment of a child. She was booked into the Jefferson County Jail Saturday, jail records show, and released Monday after posting $30,000 bond.

Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Yates said Demonie was pronounced dead at Children’s at 1:26 p.m.

Bessemer police this morning upgraded the charges against Townsend to chemical endangerment exposure to a child resulting in death.

Demonie would have turned three on Saturday.

Efforts to reach his family for comment weren’t immediately successful.

The investigation is ongoing. “It’s horrible,” Burton said.

SMH….seriously lady??? Do better.
Splash News

More Stories From Bossip

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus