Coroner Reveals College Basketball Star Shanice Clark Didn’t Die From Choking On Gum [Video]

- By Bossip Staff

College Hoops Star Died From Sickle Cell Disorder

This is so sad. The coroner has come back with the results of his testing on the young PA basketball player who was found dead in her dorm room and it turns out police theories she choked to death on gum are wrong.

According to NY Daily News reports:

A Pennsylvania college basketball star who was found dead in her dorm in January died from a blood cell disorder — not from choking on gum, as was initially believed, the Washington County coroner said Monday.

Shanice Clark, a senior at California University of Pennsylvania, died from sickle cell trait, a blood cell disorder that usually does not show symptoms and in very rare cases can lead to sudden death, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Clark, 21, was found in her dorm around 3 a.m. on Jan. 18 and pronounced dead an hour later. Police initially said she had died by inhaling gum in her sleep, although they noted that blood tests and an autopsy were pending.

The 6-foot forward for the school’s Vulcans team hailed from Toronto, Canada and was studying communications.

That’s crazy. We have lost a few friends to sickle cell. Is it just us or does it seem like doctors have a harder time finding cures for diseases that disproportionately affect African Americans…

Check out the tribute video from Shanice’s team below:

Video Link & Embed Code
Link:
https://bossip.com/1117842/coroner-reveals-college-basketball-star-shanice-clark-didnt-die-from-choking-on-gum-video/

More Stories From Bossip

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus