4th Grader Saves His Classmate From Choking On Nugget
A South Carolina fourth grader sprang into action when he noticed that his classmate was choking on a chicken nugget during lunch.
Via The Grio:
“When he started choking I got behind him,” Damariyon Pichardo told WBTV, describing how he performed abdominal thrusts at his Rock Hill elementary school.
At first, Pichardo thought his friend, Thomas Adkins, was just joking around, but when he realized it was serious, he knew just what to do.
“It got stuck and then one part went down, and then I shot it back down and then I started choking,” Adkins recalled
Pichardo said he had been taught about emergency preparedness by his mother.
“My mom, she went to nursing school and then, like, she taught us how to do it before, and that came to mind when he started choking,” he said.
He went on to say that he was glad he knew what to do, because timing meant everything.
“It takes a couple of minutes for the ambulance to get there, so it’s best that you know how to do it,” Adkins said.
After Pichardo performed the abdominal thrusts, he was glad to take his friend to the school nurse, because he was still not sure his friend was okay.
“I was scared after I help him, because he still was kind of red,” Pichardo said.