Toddler Dies After Drinking Mother’s Methadone From A Water Bottle
A 20-month-old girl’s mother had poured half her addiction medication dose into a water bottle she left in her van when she took one of her sons to a doctor’s appointment, according to county medical examiner reports.
Via NY Daily News:
Her 8-year-old son stayed in the van with his younger sister, and he later said he saw her drinking out of the bottle, the mom told officials.
The toddler, whose name was Kyleeh, never woke up from her afternoon nap that day, according to the Milwaukee Police Department. Neighbors tried to perform CPR but she was pronounced dead at the family’s N. 76th St. home at 7:30 p.m.
Police are investigating Kyleeh’s death and waiting on toxicology test results from the medical examiner’s office, the Journal Sentinel reported. An autopsy on Saturday showed no trauma to her body.
The mom hasn’t been charged in her daughter’s death. She told investigators she was using methadone after quitting heroin seven years ago, according to the local newspaper.
The mother yelled out to neighbors “in this blood-curdling scream” when she found her child unresponsive Friday night, area resident Harriet Hill told WITI-TV.
“She goes, ‘Oh my God, she’s dead! She’s dead!’” Hill told the TV station.
A mom just south of Milwaukee in Kenosha accidentally poured vodka into her infant’s formula earlier this month. The baby girl survived after a trip to intensive care.