Lin-Manuel Miranda Leaving “Hamilton” To Work On Other Projects
According to the Hollywood Reporter:
On July 9, less than a month after the Tonys, where Hamilton has a record 16 nominations, the contracts of many members of the current company — including Miranda, who also wrote the show’s book and music — will expire, sources close to the production tell The Hollywood Reporter.
Miranda, 36, has told confidants he will depart the show then to work on other projects. He wrote music for the Disney animated musical Moana (in theaters Nov. 23); The Weinstein Co. has picked up movie rights to his first Broadway musical, In the Heights; he’ll star with Emily Blunt in Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns; Hamilton touring productions are in the works; and he has seeds of an idea for a new musical, he has told friends. It’s unclear if Miranda would perform in the show periodically (rather than the eight shows a week he currently does), and producers declined to comment on his status.
Meanwhile, other key players’ future with the show, which last week grossed a whopping $1.9 million, remain in flux, as they are seeking big pay raises (on top of a profit-sharing deal the original cast secured from producers in April) and are prepared to walk if they don’t get them, according to sources.
We can only applaud this… Miranda is making boss moves right now. Nothing can stop him, he’s all the way up.