A Man In Toronto Has Died As A Result Of A Bite From His Pet Cat
It’s been one helluva year when it comes to animals killing people.
The VancouverSun is reporting that a man in Toronto has been killed…by his pet cat.
The Toronto man looked in ill health generally, had vague abdominal pains and was wheezing when he showed up at the emergency department after falling at home.
Two weeks later — despite major surgery and intensive antibiotic treatment — he was dead, septic shock having shut down his vital organs. The cause was as surprising as his precipitous decline: a bite on the thumb from a pet cat.
The nip transmitted bacteria common to household animals, which in turn triggered a seldom-reported complication — an aneurysm in the thick vessel that delivers blood to much of the body, according to a newly published case study by the doctors who tried to save the man.
With animal bites among the most common complaints in emergency wards, the authors warn other physicians to be vigilant and act quickly if they suspect the rare, but potentially deadly cat-bite complication.
And to head off those dire problems, as well as much more common local infections, anyone who is bitten by an animal should get a preventive course of antibiotics, says Dr. Dennis Cho, an emergency medicine resident who co-authored the new study.
Crazy stuff, right? Bet this stops “they” from kissing their pets in the mouth.
Image via Shutterstock