Stay Safe: South Carolina Teen Dies From Drinking Too Much Caffeine

- By Bossip Staff

Coffee---Getty Images

For your information…

Teenager Dies From Ingesting Too Much Caffeine

A South Carolina teen’s tragic death is making nationals headlines. 16-year-0ld Davis Allen Cripe died last month after ingesting too much caffeine, according to USA Today.

A local coroner reports that the teen who collapsed in a classroom, suffered a “caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia” after ingesting a large Diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink over the course of about two hours.

Davis was reportedly perfectly healthy and had no family history of medical problems. The coroner has been careful however to not call his death a caffeine overdose but added that Davis had “a previous history of drinking” caffeinated beverages.

Davis consumed his first beverage around 12:40 p.m. and by 2:28 p.m. he’d collapsed in class. At 3:40 p.m. he was pronounced dead.

Holding back tears, Davis’ dad Sean Cripe urged parents to talk with their kids about the dangers of energy drinks and consuming too much caffeine.

“It wasn’t a car crash that took his life,” he said of his son according to USA Today. “Instead, it was an energy drink. Parents, please talk to your kids about these energy drinks. And teenagers and students: please stop buying them.”

This is so scary, be careful with your caffeine consumption people!

Getty Images

More Stories From Bossip

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus