Wrongful Death: 68-Year Old Man Dies After Hospital Pumps His Lungs With Cleaning Detergent 

Wrongful Death: 68-Year Old Man Dies After Hospital Pumps His Lungs With Cleaning Detergent 

- By Bossip Staff
Surgeons operating patient in hospital

Source: Nomad / Getty

68-year old grandfather, William Hannah, has died after Salford Royal Hospital in the U.K. mistakingly filled his lungs with cleaning detergent instead of saline.

The Hannah family’s lawyer told PEOPLE,

During the procedure the doctor found there was no saline solution in the equipment trolley and so asked a healthcare assistant to pass this to him. However, the assistant became confused and instead of providing the doctor with the requested saline, accidentally handed him an unlabelled bottle containing detergent that they had prepared for cleaning equipment. The doctor then unknowingly used the cleaning solution to wash-out William’s lung.

Following an internal investigation into the wrongful death, the Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust concluded that the hospital did not deliver the “high standard of care” and offered its apologies to the family.

Hearings for the case begin in February 2019. SMH, so sad.

MORE STORIES FROM BOSSIP

Comments

Bossip Comment Policy
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.