Bossip Video

Beauty fades.. dumb is forever. In a land of bust it babies, aspiring video vixens and Hip-Hop simpletons, someone forgot to tell the kids to read a d*mn book!

If the young men pulled their pants up and the young ladies took pictures FACING the camera, maybe they’d notice the reflections looking back can barely add up all the millions they hope to gain. Test scores for students from the 3rd grade thru 8th grades reveal that our students are learning less and failing more.

City tests scores released Wednesday plummeted after officials made it harder to pass the statewide exams.

On the math exams, only 54% of third- through eighth-graders passed, compared with 82% the year before, a shocking decline of 28 percentage points.

Reading scores also dropped a whopping 27 percentage points, from 69 % during the 2008-2009 school year to only 42 %.

The disturbing decline comes in the wake of a study commissioned by the state and released last week that found the high-stakes exams had become easier to pass over the last four years.

The state significantly raised the bar in response, essentially erasing recent gains made by city kids.

“We are doing a great disservice when we say that a child is proficient when that child is not,” said state Regents Chancellor Merryl H. Tisch.

The nose dive brings tests scores even lower than they were four years ago, when the state revamped the exams. In 2006, 51% of city students passed the reading exam and 57% passed math.

The study performed by a team led by Harvard professor Daniel Koretz found that the tests became easier to pass, easier to predict and tested a narrow set of skills, suggesting that skyrocketing scores did not mean students were learning more.

This year, the state raised the passing score, made it less predictable and added more material. Next year, the exams will get even tougher.

City students’ declines was matched by other big cities in the state.

Charter schools statewide also saw massive declines, dropping to 60% passing math from 89% last year and 43% passing English, down from 76% in 2009.

This is just ridiculous. Have the schools properly prepared them for the tests they are taking? Or are the parents too busy posting smut on Facebook to notice? All students with bad grades get a HO SIT DOWN… AND READ A BOOK!!!

Source

Comments

Bossip Comment Policy
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.