Shooting In Johns Hopkins Hospital: Patient’s Son Goes Ballistic, Wounds Doctor Before Killing Mother And Himself

- By Bossip Staff

This is just terrible… Details are still emerging in the case of a shooting at Johns Hopkins Hospital this afternoon that is currently being investigated as a murder-suicide, along with a doctor who was also wounded.

Baltimore police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III said the gunman, 50-year-old Paul Warren Pardus, shot his mother, Jean Davis, in her hospital room. The doctor had been telling Davis about his mother’s condition when the man “became emotionally distraught and reacted … and was overwhelmed by the news of his mother’s condition,” Bealefeld said.

He said he did not know what the woman was being treated for.

Pardus then pulled a semiautomatic handgun from his waistband shot the doctor once in the abdomen, the commissioner said. After that, Pardus was holed up in his mother’s hospital room for two hours.

When officers made their way to room 873, they found Pardus dead on the floor and his mother dead in her hospital bed.

The doctor, who collapsed just outside the room, underwent surgery and is expected to survive, police said. ABC News has confirmed the wounded doctor was Dr. David Cohen, an orthopedic physician who specializes in spine surgery, osteoporosis and scoliosis, according to his biography on the hospital’s website. He was rushed to the operating room and is expected to make a full recovery.

Michelle Burrell, who works in a coffee shop in the hospital lobby, said she was told by employees who were on the floor where the doctor was shot that the gunman was angry with the doctor’s treatment of his mother.

“Basically, he was upset about his mother being paralyzed by the doctor,” Burrell said. “It’s crazy.”

A small area of the hospital had been locked down before the gunman died, as about a dozen officers wearing vests and helmets and carrying assault weapons prepared to go into the hospital at midday. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the gunman had not taken any hostages, and people with appointments in other parts of the hospital were encouraged to keep them.

The man who shot and wounded a doctor at Johns Hopkins Hospital and then killed himself and his mother was distraught over news of his mother’s condition, Baltimore police said Thursday.

The FBI was assisting Baltimore police, said FBI spokesman Richard J. Wolf.

The gunman was on the 8th floor of the Nelson building, the main hospital tower. According to the Hopkins website, the eighth floor is home to orthopedic, spine, trauma and thoracic services.

Guglielmi said the situation was contained to that part of the hospital, and no people had been locked in rooms or otherwise in danger.

The rest of the massive hospital, research and medical education complex remained open, including the emergency department.

The investigation is still ongoing and different versions of events have been reported, including one account that says the shooter was a black man in his 30’s and another that claims a SWAT team brought down the suspect.

SMH… This is just crazy. How are people even allowed to just walk into hospitals — John Hopkins at that — carrying semi-automatic weapons???


More Stories From Bossip


Bossip Comment Policy
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.