Man Sets House On Fire After Using Blowtorch On Spider Webs
Who needs California wildfires when you can blowtorch your own house?
If Eiliya Maida thought he hated spiders before, imagine how he must feel now. The California man accidentally set his house on fire while using a blowtorch to clear spider webs out of his backyard.
The Chico Enterprise Record reports that dry plants in Maida’s backyard ignited as he was attempting to burn the webs. The plant fire then spread to the house, starting an attic fire. Maida was apparently unaware of starting the house fire until his brother-in-law George Basbous noticed the blaze.
“And that’s when I went crazy,” Basbous said.
Maida’s wife and two children safely exited the house, and no one was injured in the fire. Still, firefighters were forced to cut a hole in the house’s roof to put out the flames. Chico Fire Chief Keith Carter said the fire would have mushroomed if they hadn’t created the hole.
Fire Inspector Marie Fickert told the paper that the family has been displaced as a result of the fire, which did approximately $25,000 in damages.
This guy will be sleeping on the couch for the REST of the year. SMH.
Image via Shutterstock