Bishop Apologizes For Allowing Convicted Child Molester To Work During School Fundraiser
A Roman Catholic Bishop in California was forced to face the parents of children who attended a school fundraiser where a convicted child molester was allowed to work as a volunteer.
via NBC News
The Roman Catholic bishop of San Jose, Calif., has apologized to parishioners for a diocesan decision allowing a convicted child molester to volunteer at a parish festival on school grounds last month, calling it a “mistake” and “an unfortunate circumstance.”
Bishop Patrick McGrath appeared at Sunday Mass in black clerical suit and collar and told the congregation before the service began that he takes full responsibility, though he didn’t say who made the ultimate decision.
“I pledge to you I will do everything in my power to make sure to make sure this doesn’t happen again,” he said, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
Gurries, 51, was convicted two years ago of lewd and lascivious conduct on a minor under 14 years old. He served nearly a year in county jail and remains on probation, according to the Mercury News.
The newspaper said that under California law, registered sex offenders may be allowed on school grounds if they have written permission from the school’s chief administrative official. The school principal has said that no one from the school administration had given permission. However, the parish priest, the Rev. Lieu Vu, told parents at the festival that Gurries had a letter giving him permission, according to the Mercury News.
Diocesan officials have not said who wrote the letter and whether it was authorized by the bishop.
Are we the only ones wondering why a convicted child molester is allowed on school premises period when children are present, letter or not??