MSNBC Suspends Alec Baldwin’s Late-Night Show
We live in a society where you have to watch what you say because there is always a person with a camera willing to put you on blast. Alec is learning the hard way.
According to Hollywood Reporter:
MSNBC has suspended Alec Baldwin’s new talk show for two weeks after the actor turned talk-show host’s use of gay slurs drew widespread criticism.
The announcement Friday followed the controversial actions of the 30 Rock star over the past several days. Up Late With Alec Baldwin had premiered only a month ago, on October 11.
“I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have — and for that I am deeply sorry,” Baldwin said in a statement. “Words are important. I understand that and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support. I understand Up Late will be taken off the schedule for tonight and next week.”
On Thursday, TMZ published a video showing the actor hurling gay slurs at a photographer who had been in a confrontation with Baldwin. The video was widely circulated online, and the host’s language drew wide condemnation, including from gay-rights advocacy group GLAAD.
Baldwin has since apologized on Twitter for causing offense.
He reiterated that in a note posted to MSNBC’s site Friday: “I want to apologize to my loyal fans and to my colleagues at MSNBC — both for my actions and for distracting from their good work. Again, please accept my apology.”