Those cookies are no joke — definitely not for first time users!
19-Year-Old’s Fatal Fall From Balcony Ruled First Marijuana Related Death Since Legalization
According to NY Daily News reports:
A college student visiting Colorado for spring break fell to his death after eating marijuana cookies in what’s believed to be the first publicized fatality linked to pot since its legalized sale in January.
Levy Thamba, a 19-year-old exchange student at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., had just eaten the pot-laced treats with friends last month when he became “very agitated and upset” and ran off a fourth floor hotel balcony, according to the Denver Coroner’s Office.
Three of Thamba’s friends, who said it was the first time any of them had consumed marijuana, said one of them had purchased the cookies from a legal supplier. At least one of them is 21.
“The kids took this cookie, one of them took a bite and then got kind of sick,” Chief Deputy Coroner Michelle Weiss-Samaras told the Daily News. “The other two obviously didn’t have a problem and then this one became very agitated and upset and didn’t do well.”
“He got up and just started running and hits the railing,” Weiss-Samaras described the autopsy report’s findings. “I’m not really sure that he knew what was going on … the kids were pretty traumatized.”
The teen’s autopsy found him having 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. The state law in impaired driving cases sets a standard of 5 nanograms per milliliter, the Denver Post reported.
Toxicology tests for other drugs or alcohol also came back negative and Thamba didn’t have any known physical or mental-health issues, according to Weiss-Samaras.
The official cause of death for Thamba, who’s originally from the Republic of Congo, includes “marijuana intoxication.”
So sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.