Jussie Smollett Won’t Be Prosecuted For Filing Alleged False Report
Welp! Looks like the Chicago PD will be eating crow today.
TMZ broke the news that Jussie Smollett will not be prosecuted for allegedly faking a racial attack as all charges against him have been dropped!!! Jussie and his lawyers addressed the media regarding the news at 8:45 AM PT.
Today, Jussie Smollett’s attorneys, Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, issued the following statement:
“Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.
Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.
“Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.”
According to TMZ reports Jussie and his lawyers headed to court Tuesday morning in Chicago, where he was facing 16 felony counts of lying to police in the alleged racial and homophobic attack and the case is now over. Jussie will surrender his $10,000 bond but is otherwise cleared of all charges.
TMZ’s sources say State’s Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. TMZ was not able find any record of Smollett doing community service AND they say Chicago police are “furious” and suspect something shady might be going on with Kim Foxx.
HOWEVER, a source close to Jussie says the prosecution’s case “disintegrated.” As previously reported, the Police Superintendent had claimed a $3,500 check Abel Osundairo and Ola Osundairo received from Jussie was payment for the alleged fake attack but it was actually for physical training. The Police Superintendent also said during a news conference that Jussie wrote that threatening letter 6 days before the attack when in actuality the FBI had not concluded who wrote the letter.
So it sounds like the Police Superintendent blew the case with his big mouth.
What do you think about this turn of events. Seems like the Empire writers couldn’t have come up with a better plot twist!
Jussie Smollett addressed the cameras as well: