R. Kelly Loses Sex Abuse Case For Failing To Show Up To Court
Another day, another round of legal trouble for R. Kelly.
As previously reported four alleged victims came forward in February claiming they were abused by the singer leading to him facing 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Earlier this week R lost one of those cases simply for not showing up to court.
PEOPLE Magazine reports that on Tuesday, a Chicago judge issued a default judgment in the case, as neither Kelly nor his lawyers filed an answer to the suit, or made an appearance in court.
The case in question involved a woman only identified as H.W. who claimed that R started abusing her in 1998 when she was 16. The woman claimed that she engaged in sexual intercourse and oral sex with the singer. She also said she came forward after undergoing therapy.
Her lawyer Jeffrey Deutschman, told PEOPLE that R was served with the lawsuit while in custody at the Cook County jail in March after failing to pay $161,000 in back child support.
On May 8 the woman and her lawyer will return to court to get a judgment regarding how much the Pied Piper will have to pay in damages.
R’s publicist told The Chicago Sun-Times that they’re far from worried about the suit.
“We don’t care about the lawsuit. The lawsuit means nothing to us,” he said.
You sure, sir?
What do YOU think about R losing this sex abuse case?
That’s one down, three more to go for the shady singer with a reported -$13 in his account.