Brooklyn Priest Accused Of Sexually Abusing Woman In New Lawsuit
Here we go again! Yet another case of a priest being hit with sex abuse allegations!
The NY Daily News reports that Brooklyn priest Father Andre Bain was named in a recent lawsuit by a young woman who claims she came to him for counseling when he became the head of St. Vincent Ferrer Church in East Flatbush in July 2014, then instead pushed the 20-something into sexual acts.
According to the suit, Bain kept the woman quiet despite months of sex abuse by telling her they were not committing sins because there was no vaginal intercourse.
The woman filed the lawsuit anonymously against the Brooklyn Diocese and its Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio. She claims they were negligent in her case and failed to respond to her complaint in a timely fashion, allowing Bain to prey on her and other women.
“Plaintiff believes that Fr. Bain has been carrying out these behaviors for decades in other parishes since his days in seminary,” the lawsuit says.
The diocese strongly disagreed, saying it immediately responded to the complaint and contacted law enforcement.
Bain, who was ordained a diocesan priest in 2004, declined to comment.
“I can’t respond to these innuendos at this time. I’m sorry,” he said by phone.
Innuendos? SIR. Please have a seat. This is way more than innuendo.
In the meantime a spokesperson for the Brooklyn Diocese claims the church took appropriate action after an internal review, barring Bain from ministering and having him removed to private housing.
The Brooklyn Diocese’s spokeswoman, Carolyn Erstad, said the diocese immediately responded when it received the first complaint about Bain on its anonymous reporting line on Jan. 21, 2015.
“The protocols of our zero tolerance policy were meticulously followed and documented,” Erstad said.
She noted that the diocese quickly reported the allegations to the Brooklyn district attorney’s office. The DA’s office and the NYPD both found that no crime had been committed, she said.
“What doesn’t make sense is who the plaintiff has chosen to sue,” Erstad said. “The lawsuit accuses the bishop of being negligent, but the facts show just the opposite.”
The court papers say the accuser and her mother both called the diocese’s sex abuse hotline on Jan. 18, 2015 — but they never got a response. The mother called on Jan. 19 but never heard from anyone, the lawsuit says.
Church officials only got back to them when the mother hand-delivered a written complaint to the diocese office, according to the lawsuit.
So somebody is either lying OR the diocese took action but didn’t follow up with the plaintiff it sounds like. According to the court documents the abuse began shortly after Bain was appointed at St. Vincent Ferrer in July of 2014 and continued up until January 2015. The alleged victim says the priest wasn’t worried about getting in trouble.
“He told the plaintiff that he acted in this way before and that he would neither get into trouble with the diocese nor lose his priesthood,” the lawsuit says.
What’s worse is the woman claims Bain began stalking her after she ceased contacting him, even going to her place of work. The lawsuit says it was March or April of 2015 when the accuser’s mother filed a complaint when diocesan officials had Bain removed from St. Vincent Ferrer and sent him to live at St. Finbar Church in Bensonhurst. The lawsuit says he was still occasionally seen on occasion back at St. Vincent Ferrer. He only lived at St. Finbar while he was investigated and did not minister, staying there until he found his own private housing. The accuser claims the alleged abuse sent her into a deep depression and she no longer attends St. Vincent Ferrer, where she’d been an active parishioner since 2009.