Zoe Saldana’s Bacalao a la Criolla with Tostones
2 lb. salted dried codfish (soaked for 12 to 24 hours; change the water at least twice to remove excess salt)
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup green olives, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced•2 green peppers, diced
1 tsp mashed garlic
5 plum tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp tomato paste
Salt to taste
1. Boil presoaked codfish and potatoes in 4 cups water until fish is tender and flakes easily, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a different pot, heat oil.
3. Sauté olives, onion, peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
4. Add 1 cup water. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in tomato paste, then add codfish, potatoes, and another cup of water.
6. Cook on low heat for an additional 5 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken.
7. Taste sauce and add salt to taste. (For more spice, add dash of red or black pepper?or hot sauce!)